Monday, May 11, 2015

what i am known as

Have you ever wondered why a Walnut? Or Why I am known as Petey's Mom?
It all came from when my husband and I we attending a support group meeting for prostate cancer in 2009. Our leader sent around a plain walnut and said "This is the size of a prostate". When it came to me I sat there thinking what can I do to make this into something. Hummm....add some arms, feet, hands,eyes. And that is when Petey the Prostate Crusader was born! 
From then on he became our Mascot for prostate cancer events and my way to raise awareness for this horrible disease. How did I become known as Petey's Mom, I walked into a support group meeting and hear a Survivor shout there's Petey's Mom and it has stuck every sense. Petey goes with me everywhere even to Capitol Hill were we have talked with Senators, Congresspersons and Legislative Assistants about prostate cancer. I share my story as a Wife/Caregiver and Mom of 4 Sons. Sharing how devastating this has been on me as the Wife is hard and also being the Caregiver is even harder. But having Petey with me gives me hope that in raising awareness one day prostate cancer will be a thing in the past.  
So if you ever see Petey out please feel free to come and say Hi! You never know where he will be raising awareness. 

No comments: