Wednesday, June 19, 2019

10 year Cancerversary!

Ten years ago June 19, our lives changed forever! We were at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base sitting in the Urologist office. And then the words were uttered by the Ufologist that no family ever wants to hear. I am sorry you have prostate cancer, little lone it is an aggressive form. But that is what we heard! Tears, disbelief, anger, fear, Information Overload, etc!! It felt like I hit a brick wall full force.

I could have chosen to sit back and say...poor me, but I chose to be an Advocate of prostate cancer awareness! They say there is a reason for why we were chosen for this mission in life. I might not understand it all right now but one day I might!

Ray had a Prostatectomy on October 12, 2009, after the surgery the doctor came out to give me an update. I was praying for good news, but that was not the case. The cancer spread out the prostate into the lymph-nodes. My heart sank again and that brick wall was back! The most important thing he survived prostate cancer. We both are dealing with changes in our lives. Some will understand what we are going through on our journey. Prostate cancer is a couples' disease. Every three months Ray gets his PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test done. Until the results return Undetectable it's stressful, for both of us. Thankfully Ray has been in Remission for awhile now. I will not say he is cured as we know the cancer can at anytime return. Which scares me, with the unknown. One day at a time! Why us? It has been said, God gives us what we can handle.  It will either make me stronger or make me weak. I have been on both sides!

I started advocating and raising awareness for this horrible disease that no one seems to want to talk about. In 2012, I began working with ZERO – The End of Prostate Cancer, a national nonprofit with the mission to end prostate cancer. ZERO advances research, improves the lives of men and families, and inspires action. Working with ZERO has given me so many more opportunities to help raise awareness and to be part of ending prostate cancer.

Ray is a 20 Veteran of the Air Force. We need to prove that the herbicides and chemicals that he was exposed to in the Military contributed to his prostate cancer. Veterans who are exposed to herbicides like Agent Orange are at increased risk for developing prostate cancer, and are more likely to have an aggressive form of the disease. Education regarding prostate cancer and early detection strategies is critical to saving lives, preserving, and protecting our families. The economic and social burden of prostate cancer is huge. Prostate cancer is estimated to cost over $8 billion in direct medical expenses.

No comments: