Wednesday, August 11, 2021

August 10, 2009

 Ray was diagnosed June 19, 2009 with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. On this day I felt like I hit a brick wall at full force. And every time I would talk about it the tears would flow! People would tell me to  it feel the way I did. I did not have the cancer. Well you see it’s a couples disease. It effects me just as much! Not only did his life change so did mine. 

I tried finding a support group for both of us starting in June. I call all that I could find only to be met with. Sorry women are no allowed at our meetings. Or sure women can come but not allowed in the same room. Then on August 10, 2009 Us Too and talked with Terri Lynn Likowski and she put me into contact with Bill Stevens. I called and was met with Of course you can come. We meet together! So we went that night to Lancaster and met Bill and Sherry Pence Stevens both amazing people. The first hour we all met together and then the second hour we separated. I waited to introduced myself and kept saying keep it together. Nope that didn’t happen! The tears started flowing when I was sharing. I felt bad but all the women said let the tears flow. We have been where you are it will get easier. Yes it has, I can talk about it and get choked up but I can keep it together.

I use to be a quite and shy person. Not now I will talk to anyone about prostate cancer. Even elected officials in Ohio and on Capitol Hill!


No comments: