Thursday, September 19, 2019

Prostate Cancer Survivors and Caregiver Network

When my husband was first diagnosed with prostate cancer on June 19, 2009., I felt so alone. I felt like I hit a brick wall when the urologist gave us the horrible news. There were many tears after hearing the news. I was grateful that the urologist gave us time to absorb the news. He said when we were ready to talk he will answer our questions. He cleared his schedule for that morning. I had so many questions. Is my husband going to die? What is prostate cancer? Will my sons get prostate cancer?  We talked for a long time and he was able to answer some questions. My husband just wanted the prostate out immediately. HIs mind was made up. Surgery now! The urologist said if we had more questions do not hesitate to call. before we left he gave us the best advice. Become students and learn everything we can.

I took his advice to heart and the next day was searching for what prostate cancer was I wanted some more answers. What causes prostate cancer. What are the treatment options. What is the survival rate of this horrible disease. I was finding information and tried to share it with my husband, but he did not want to ready anything. He had his mind set on surgery. Eight years ago I started gathering information and saving it to a Facebook page. I would share the information on my personal page and was being contacted by other wives going thorough a prostate cancer diagnosis as well. We became friends and was able to support each other in our journey. Sadly some of the men passed away from their cancer shortly after we met online. I cried along with them when they shared the news. I was being contacted by husband and wives wanting to know if they could join my group. Some want to share in private so I changed my page from public to private. Soon after that men were sharing information that they had never shared before! And ask questions that they need the answer too. I will do my best to give them the answers. If I can not answer it someone in the group might have the answers. We support each other through the Good, the Bad and the ugly of prostate cancer! We laugh, we cry and we mourn together.
   

No comments: