Saturday, November 10, 2018

And the work continues

Next year will be my 6th year of contacting elected officials for Proclamations and Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness and Education Month in September in Ohio. This year I contacted  State Representatives asking for their help as well. With overwhelming support they added their names of support. I also asked County Commissioners. Ohio has 88 counties 26 of the 88 joined in as well. Some have said they want all 88 supporting and that is what they are going to work on.

If anyone is interested in contacting your elected officials let me know the state you live in. I will have the text for the Proclamations and I make them state specific. When asking for the Proclamations I add my personal story! Many times I will get a return email or phone call with the impact prostate cancer has had in their lives. Or I hear...I never knew there was a month for prostate cancer awareness. But I do now!

This year I had 199 Proclamations commitments still have a few that are coming in. Going back through the years I have over 300 Cities, Villages and Townships who have participated. One other thing that they have done is added it to their Websites and Newsletters to increase awareness. Some have showcased their proclamation in their City Hall for the month. 🙂 One Of those feel good moments when I hear. Thank you for including us in your mission! My hope and dream is that it is making a difference with prostate cancer.

One County Commissioners was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago and never talked about his diagnosis with others. I contacted him not knowing he has prostate cancer and shared my story with him. A few days later I got an email that he was doing one and he wanted to present it to us personally at a Commissioners meeting. Of course we will be there. It was on Rays Birthday August 30th. We get to the meeting and see news cameras there. We did not know the Commissioners asked them to be there! As we are at the meeting the Commissioner has us share our story and why I am doing this. And then he shares why the news is there. He wanted for the first time after being diagnosed he was sharing his Journey with his district. And because of my story he wanted to share his. So my eyes started leaking a little! Happy tears of making a difference with prostate cancer.

My email is pcamproclamations@gmail.com

No comments: