Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Greetings Honorable Mayor and Council Members

Greetings Honorable Mayor and Council Members

How often have you heard the Media reporting on prostate cancer or sharing the stories about the families who are living with prostate cancer in Ohio? How often do you hear Men talking openly about prostate issues throughout the Country?

 I would like to introduce myself my name is Linda Hoetger I am the spouse/caregiver and advocate for Prostate Cancer in Ohio as well as on Capitol Hill with ZERO The End of Prostate Cancer. My husband is a Retired Air Force Veteran with 20 years of service and employee at the Chalmers P. Wylie Veterans Administration Clinic in Columbus, Ohio. We are parents of four sons in their late 20’s and early 30’s. Two of our sons hast started their families we have a newborn Grandson and one on the way in April. My husband has a Grandson from a previous marriage. My husband is the first in his family diagnosed with prostate cancer, he has two other Brothers, and both of them have no prostate issues. I have a concern that my husband’s prostate cancer is Military related. Though never stationed in Vietnam; however, Agent Orange has been stored at some base he was stationed. He was also a Firefighter in the 70’s during a tour in England where there was a Tanker fire. The tanker was filled with barrels that were on fire and had to be extinguished my husband was one of the Airmen that put it out. He applied for an Agent Orange claim and denied due to No Boots on the Ground in Vietnam.

 On our 32nd Wedding Anniversary September 28, 2015, Congresswoman Joyce Beatty mentioned us in her speech to Congress. The original speech is viewable on YouTube. Mayor Harman of Woodville is one of my supporters and many more. I would love to have your support as well in this epic movement to change Ohio other states and in Washington DC in September for Prostate Cancer! 
         
 June 19, 2009 we heard the devastating news that my husband has an aggressive form of prostate cancer; we were both stunned, shocked and horrified. We had to learn a new foreign language PSA, Gleason, positive margins just to name a few. It is hard enough trying to deal with the diagnosis and finding even harder that when you say these two words Prostate Cancer, people run the other way. I know it is hard for the men to talk about their diagnosis with prostate cancer; it is not a Man’s disease. It is a Couple’s disease. For our families every month is Prostate Cancer Awareness month 24/7 365!

We will celebrate our 7th year after the diagnosis on June 19, 2016 and it has become my mission to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month in September. I am reaching out to every City, Village, and Township in Ohio asking for your support with a Proclamation or Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness month in September. This year there will be 180,890 men diagnosed with prostate cancer. Many will suffer in silence; as this disease robs the men from their feelings of Manhood. Sadly, 30,000 men will die from prostate cancer. Since my husband’s diagnosis I have met many families of prostate cancer, sadly some of them have lost their battle from this horrible disease. My heart breaks every time I hear the news and it makes me fight harder to raise awareness to let the families know that their loved ones are in our hearts. I hope that one day Prostate Cancer will be a disease that men will never have to hear those devastating word. “I am sorry you have prostate cancer!”

I contacted Governor Kasich's office in 2013 to inquire about a Resolution for September in Ohio. Sadly, there was not one, so I started the process to have one done. I am happy to say that as of September 1, 2014 in the state of Ohio Governor John R. Kasich signed the first Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. It was then time for the Mayors and Council Members throughout Ohio and other states to get involved. There are at least one Family affected by Prostate Cancer in some way, Father, Brother, Husband, Son, Etc. Ohio has been my biggest supporter in writing Proclamations and Resolutions for Prostate Cancer Awareness.

I would like to challenge you with lighting a Landmark Blue for Prostate Cancer Awareness month. Last year there were Ponds, Fountains, and Flagpoles that were lighted Blue for the month. Take a picture and I will be happy to post it on my blog to show support for the Prostate Cancer Families who are battling this horrible disease.

I started blogging about prostate cancer on Petey the Prostate Crusader blog. He is our Mascot that I created in 2009 from a Walnut. When I created Petey, I never expected that everyone would also love him. He goes with me everywhere including to Capitol Hill.

 Petey the Prostate Crusader our Mascot
http://peteytheprostatecrusader.blogspot.com/



Proclaiming the month of September National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.

Whereas, 1 in 7 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime; and

Whereas, prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed non-skin cancer in men and the second leading cause of cancer deaths in men; and

Whereas, this year approximately 180,890 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United States alone every year – that’s one man every 2.9 minutes and roughly 26,120 die this year from the disease – which is one man every 20 minutes; and

Whereas, African American men are 1.7 times more likely to develop the disease as Caucasians  and 2.4 times as likely to die from it: and

Whereas, Education regarding prostate cancer and early detection strategies is critical to saving lives and preserving and protecting our families; and

Whereas, all men are at risk for prostate cancer and we encourage the citizens of (City) to increase the importance of prostate screenings.



 




No comments: