Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Truly grateful!

When I started requesting Proclamations from elected officials. People would tell me it’s a waste of time. They don’t listen. Well since 2014 I have shared my story with over 10,000 elected officials. Close to 400 Cities, Villages and Townshps have either sent a Proclamation in the mail or have requested us to attend the Council meeting. One County Commissioner requested us to attend the reading. As Ray and I were waiting on the meeting to begin two news stations entered the meeting as well. The Commissioner said he wanted them there to hear our story. As we finished he said he had something to share as well. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer two years earlier and never told anyone. But today he wanted to share his story on the news. He said my story helped him to share his. He also said the Courthouse would be Blue the month of September. To this day two years later it is still my phone screen! 

Other elected officials will also share their story in emails. And they say thank you for doing what your doing. I started in Ohio because we live in Ohio. Then by accident I would contact other states because their cities had the same names in Ohio. I contacted Columbus, Indiana and Columbus, Georgia because my dad is from Indiana and three of my sons are from Georgia. Add them to my list! Ray is from Kingston, New York. He contacted the Mayor and no response. I contact him and in 2016 we received the first Proclamation. Maybe he liked my story better than Ray’s. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

This year I have Proclamations from Ohio, New York, Indiana, Georgia, Tennessee and Pennsylvania. 

Yes the Proclamations don’t bring in money. But raising awareness and showing the need is critical in moving on to the next step of funding. Before Ray was diagnosed I was clueless to what prostate cancer was.



No comments: