Friday, September 27, 2013

A note from Petey's Mom

Petey wanted me to help him with his blog to share with others the life of Prostate Cancer and how we raise awareness. In 2009 I created Petey, how it started was from a support group meeting. Our group leader was sending around a plain ole walnut and said...."This is the size of a prostate gland." Well if you know me I am a creative person and when the walnut came to me of course my brain starts thinking. Hummm.... add some eyes, arms, hands and feet! Presto!! Chango!!! Petey the Prostate Crusader was born. At first I was just making the Petey's and asking for a donation of $2.00 (one for awareness and one to help cover the cost of the supplies to make Petey's). When I first started making Petey's there were just a few at a time. But as time progressed the Petey fans have been popping up all over the world!

 I would hear families saying that with prostate cancer our lives were pretty much over. Well this is no the case, there is still life with prostate cancer and Petey wanted to share with them that he has not given up how much fun he can have! One day as I was going through the toy isle (yes an adult shopping for toys for ME) there was a small scooter. (light bulb) Went off I can add Petey to the scooter and when we go on trips he can go with us and take pictures to post on his blog. We stopped at Rest Areas or do other sightseeing and Petey would get his picture taken, people would see him and give a little smile. And then there are families who know why the walnut and then start a conservation with us. 

A few months later I started making Petey scenes! You guessed it going back to the toy isles, thrift stores or where ever I can find small things to use. If I can't find what it then it is time to make it myself. He has tried so many different adventures and if he has not tried it and you have an idea let me know! We recently went to Washington, DC for a ZERO Prostate Cancer Summit and I took some of the scenes with me to set on the table to share his adventures again. Everyone loved seeing them. It helps to bring a little smile on the face of a family who is dealing with this HORRIBLE disease called Prostate Cancer. It is not an Old Man's disease any longer one of the Survivor's was a young man! It is also a Couple's disease, yes my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer but as a wife/ caregiver we are dealing with our own issues. 

No comments: