Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Hoetger's

Ray and I are ZERO Prostate Cancer Champions in Columbus, Ohio. Each year we attend the ZERO Summit in Washington, DC on the last day, along with other patients, survivors and caregivers from Ohio and across the country. Lobby on Capitol Hill and speak with our Senators and Congress members to encourage their fight to keep funding for prostate cancer research in the FY Budget. The next ZERO The End Of Prostate Cancer Summit is February 27 - March 1, 2017 we will be there for the 5th year sharing our Journey as well.
Our Journey started June 19, 2009. I can honestly say that before my husband was diagnosed I never heard about prostate cancer. It is a disease that Guys do not want to talk about or want their loved ones talking about. When I have talked about prostate cancer to others their comment is. That is the best cancer to have! Why do they say this? Not having cancer is better! My thought to why this is said I because prostate cancer is not talked about very much. This needs to change! There are about 3 million prostate cancer patients and survivors fighting their battle daily. 30,000 men will lose their battle every year.
Three years ago I started contacting Elected officials in Ohio for a Proclamationor Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness month in September. Over 200 Mayors, Council Members, Trustees , Adams County Board of Commissionors have supported my efforts by sending a Proclamation or Resolution. Governor Kasich wrote the first Ohio Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness in 2014. Thank you to Representative Bishoff, Senator Bacon and Congresswoman Beatty for your support in raising awareness with prostate cancer.
My husband and I received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Chalmers P. Wylie Veterans Administration for raising awareness.
I ask for copies of the Proclamations and Resolutions as I share them on Capitol Hill and at different events that I attend in Ohio. We have attended ZERO Run/Walk in Ohio and I will have a table set up with them displayed. It is amazing on how much this will get men to start talking. We will share our Journey with them. And then they will share theirs. Some have even said that they have never talked about it until now and want to know how to engage with their elected officials. They thank me for doing what I am doing for the Prostate Cancer community in raising awareness. Some will ask why is there not one for my city. Sadly I will have to say either they have not responded to my request or they have declined my request as I do not live in that city or they do not support this kind of proclamation or resolution. Dissapointing to say the least, but still hopefull that one day they will change their minds! It is my hope and dream that one day ALL of Ohio will show their support for those fighting their battle, and morn with us for those who have lost their battle.
With your help we CAN make a difference in raising awareness for prostate cancer! Can I count on a commitment from you in 2017?

No comments: