Monday, June 19, 2017

On this day...

June 19, 2009 my life forever changed. I went from a wife to a caregiver to a prostate cancer patient aka my husband. When I share with others the diagnosis. Some will say...how does this effect you it is a men's disease? It does effect the caregivers in ways some do not understand. I will not give up trying to raise awareness for prostate cancer in Ohio and on Capitol Hill. Since 2012 we have attended the ZERO Summit in Washington, DC and speak with Senators and Congress for their support for research and funding. My first trip to DC is one that I will remember forever. September 13, 2012 about 15 minutes before our meeting with #SenatorBrown at 8:30am. I took a SPILL on Capitol Hill and broke my leg. You are probably thinking I went to the ER. Nope, we made it to the first, second and third meeting that day. Those from the Summit who seen me on the Hill. Said that is dedication! Just to important to not have my voice heard. #RepBeatty has been so encouraging in helping to raise awareness for this horrible disease. On our 32nd Wedding Anniversary September 28, 2015. She spoke to Congress about what we have been doing by requesting Proclamations and Resolutions from Elected Officcials in Cities, Villages and Townships in Ohio to help also raise awareness and attending Council meetings and speaking to them as well. Thank you to those that have supported prostate cancer in your Community! It means a lot to the families who are battling and those who have lost the battle. Last year though Representative Beatty's office I request a flag be flown over the Capitol in honor and memory of the families of prostate cancer. A new branch of my family tree! Heather Harris Bishoff was also so encouraging with the support she gave us along the way. One simple Tweet is all it took! Thank you! When testifying at the Statehouse and being able to do so with you about the USPSTF made it a little easier. Thank you Mayor Rich Harman for all of the support you have done in Woodville, Ohio!

It has been hard and I can honestly say that now I suffer with anxiety, depression, emotional overload and insomminia. Last night the sandman forgot to stop here until about 2am and back awake a few hours later. :(

Before the changes in my life I never heard of the prostate. This tiny little organ is the size of a walnut and is the cause of so much heart ache. When you try and talk about it people run the other way. There is my creative way to start a conservation. His name is Petey the Prostate Crusader made from a walnut. Now you know why a walnut! I take him with me and depending the occasion he comes out for photos. Once he comes out people either get curious and ask questions or they completely understand and share their Journey.

We still have along way to go in getting the support from #TheWhiteHouse and #PresidentTrump in lighting the White House Blue in September. How about an invitation to hear our Journeys at the White House. On my Bucket List!

No comments: