Monday, August 31, 2020

September is Prostate Cancer Awareness and Education Month

September begins Prostate Cancer Awareness and Education Month. 
Our journey began on June 19, 2009, when my husband was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Before he was diagnosed I had no clue what it was. You never heard about it on television, social media, or hear men talking about this horrible disease making an impact on men's lives. Since Ray's diagnosis, I have done whatever I can to raise awareness in Ohio and in Washington, D.C. For the past 8 years, we have attended the ZERO Summit in February On the last day of the Summit the attendees head to Capitol Hill to speak with our state elected officials. We ask our Senators and Congress Members to keep the funding for prostate cancer and vote for an increase of funding in the Fiscal Year Budget. We also share our stories with the elected officials. 


The elected officials in Ohio know our story as I share with them through social media or in District events that they have. In 2014 not seeing public service announcements or billboards like every other cancer. I wanted to make prostate cancer important as well. I sent out emails to elected officials sharing my story with them and asked for a Proclamation or Resolution. I started late but that year I did have a handful of supporters. In the following years, it has increased. We have also be invited to attend the City Council meetings to receive the Proclamation in a presentation and are able to share a few words with the residents in the gallery. There have been Mayors, Council members, County Commissioners who have been on their journey for years and have never shared before. They will share their journey after hearing mine. I will get emails of encouragement to continue raising awareness and they are more than happy to support my request. 



This is why I fight! 
Being the mom of four sons and two grandsons. I never want them to hear those horrible words said to them personally. My sons are in their 30's now. The picture of my husband and sons was taken August 20, 3009 on my husband's 57th birthday. 

Can you tell he had at that time he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer?

Currently, Ray is in remission. I will not say Cancer Free as there still is a possibility that prostate cancer can rear its ugly head again. On September 10th will be five years since his last hormone treatment. He gets his PSA test regularly to make sure the PSA is not rising.


 

No comments: