Friday, October 2, 2020

My Name is Linda Hoetger, I am asking for your support for the 7,030 men impacted by prostate cancer and their families just like mine. Some who live in your community and are not ready to speak up yet and share their journey. I'm asking for your support with a Proclamation or Resolution. I share the Proclamations and Resolutions through social media, in Ohio, and on Capitol Hill. I ask for your support yearly so that one day we can be part of a cure and zero out prostate cancer and educate the next generation about this horrible disease. The nation recognizes Prostate Cancer Awareness and Education Month in September.

On June 19, 2009, my life forever changed as a wife. I had another title added to it. Caregiver. On this day my husband was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. It felt like I hit a brick wall. After all the tears there were questions that needed answers. One was. What is prostate cancer? I had never heard of prostate cancer before and was clueless. But now that my husband was diagnosed with it I needed to know what we are dealing with. Also being the mother of four sons it was even more important to know more. It was hard enough hearing my husband has it. I do not want my sons to hear those horrible words we heard. You have cancer! Ray is a 20-year veteran of the United States Air Force. After he graduated from Kingston High School in 1970. He enlisted in the Air Force as a Firefighter and served 4 years in that career field stateside and in England. Being a firefighter there were countless contaminates used to distinguish fires and also used to decontaminate the military airplanes. Also, herbicides were sprayed around the military installations to control the weeds and foliage. We believe that Ray's military career caused his prostate cancer. He is the oldest of three sons in the family and he is the only one of three sons with prostate cancer. Though Ray never stepped boots in Vietnam, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and the children have been affected with birth defects. Two marriages and seven children, of which five children were born with birth defects. I know that there is an increased risk of prostate cancer and never want them to have to go through the journey my husband and I have as a couple. Since Ray's diagnosis, I was not about to sit back and do nothing! I started advocating and raising awareness for this horrible disease that no one seems to want to talk about. As the wife/caregiver of a retired Veteran, and military brat. And for the thousands of Veterans battling prostate cancer alone, we need to let them know they are not alone. This is unacceptable and the need to screen and educate the Veterans about prostate cancer is important in 2020 and beyond.

I have become an active advocate ZERO The End Of Prostate Cancer in 2012. Since 2014 I have asked for your support throughout Ohio and have been truly blessed with the amount of support. I share my journey with you and you shared the impacted prostate cancer had made in your life as well. In 2018 had a Bill introduced in the Ohio Statehouse to have ZERO The End Of Prostate Cancer license plates, funds from the license plates would stay in Ohio to provide free patient navigation serviced to reduce financial toxicity among prostate cancer and free transportation for prostate cancer patients to doctors appointments. As of June 11, 2020, it has passed both sides of the Statehouse and is waiting on the Governor's signature. We have been invited to attend Council meetings for the Proclamation readings. Which is an honor to attend to share our story and raise awareness. Having the support from elected officials throughout Ohio will let the men and families impacted by prostate cancer let them know that their elected officials care and encourage the citizens to take action in awareness as well. Also, I hope that with me sharing my story they will share their story. And get more men talking so that one day there will be a cure for prostate cancer and more lives will be saved. I hope one day to have a Prostate Cancer Survivor from all areas of Ohio. Encouragement from Legislators, Commissioners, Mayors, and other elected officials to support the families of prostate cancer and to educate residents about this horrible disease with a Proclamation and Resolution. Working with ZERO has given me so many more opportunities to help raise awareness and to be part of ending prostate cancer. Each year Ray and I speak to our elected officials at the Annual ZERO Prostate Cancer Summit in Washington, D.C., and work locally in Ohio and across the nation to secure proclamations from each local government. I keep track of all the Proclamations and Resolutions on Google map and would be honored to add yours to it as well.

No comments: