Monday, January 11, 2021

Introduction of the License plate process

 People ask me how I went about getting the Prostate Cancer license plates done. In 2009, I noticed there are no license plates for prostate cancer. I was going to do my best to change that. In 2012, ZERO The End Of Prostate Cancer reached out to me for all of my advocating for prostate cancer. So this is one of the steps is having the backing of an organization that will receive the funds from the license plates. The next step was to work with our Representatives at the Ohio Statehouse. I contacted Representative Richard Brown who is our district representative. I reached out to him through social media and asked to meet with him. At the meeting, I shared my journey as a wife of a prostate cancer patient and survivor. As well as Ray shared his as a patient and survivor. Representative Brown also shared that his family had been impacted by prostate cancer in his family. He graciously accepted to introduce the Bill for ZERO The End OF Prostate Cancer license plates. We needed a Representative from both sides of the Ohio Statehouse. Ray worked with Representative Scott Lipps at the Columbus Veterans Administration before he was elected to the House Of Representatives. Again Representative Lipps graciously accepted to be a Co-sponsor. So now we had a Democrat and Republican to Sponsor and to Co-sponsor the Bill.
 

Our bill started out as House Bill 570 in 2018. On June 20, 2018 it was introduced by Representtive Brown and Representative Lipps. As our Bill made its way though the Ohio Statehouse we were invited to attend the meetings. Unfortunatlly we were not able to attend due to medical appointments. The date June 20 is a special day for us. We met on June 20, 1983 maybe this was a sign it was going to pass and become law! It took two years to make its way thirough the Statehouse and changed to House Bill 107. In 2020 our Bill was added to an Omnibus Bill and was finally passed with Senate Bill 163. On October 22, 2020, it was signed into law by Governor Mike DeWine. 









 

No comments: