Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Calling all Mayors and Council Members

Honorable Mayor and Council Members 

I would like to introduce myself my name is Linda Hoetger, I am the wife & caregiver of a Prostate Cancer Survivor, Advocate to raising awareness for prostate cancer and the mom of 4 sons. June 19, 2009 we were told the devastating news that my husband has an aggressive form of prostate cancer, we were both stunned, shocked and horrified. We had to learn a new foreign language PSA, Gleason, positive margins just to name a few. It is hard enough trying to deal with the diagnosis and finding even harder that when you say these two words Prostate Cancer, people run the other way. I know it is hard for the men to talk about being diagnosed with prostate cancer but this is not just a Man’s disease it is a Couple’s disease. For our families every month is Prostate Cancer Awareness month 24/7 365!

We celebrated our 6th year after the diagnosis on June 19, 2015 and it has become my mission to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month in September. I am reaching out to every City and Village in Ohio asking for your support with a Proclamation or Resolution for Prostate Cancer Awareness month in September. 220,800 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer many will suffer in silence as this is a disease that robs the men from their feelings of Manhood. Sadly 30,000 men will die from prostate cancer. Since my husband’s diagnosis I have met many families of prostate cancer, sadly some of them have lost their battle from this horrible disease.  My heart breaks every time I hear the news and it makes me fight harder to raise awareness to let the families know that their loved one is still thought of and hopefully one day Prostate Cancer will be a disease that men will never have to hear those devastating word. I am sorry you have prostate cancer!                                     

I contacted Governor Kasich's office in 2013 to inquire about a Resolution for September in Ohio. Sadly there was not one, so I started the process to have one done. I am happy to say that as of September 1, 2014 in the state of Ohio the first Resolution was written and signed for Prostate Cancer Awareness Month by Governor John R. Kasich.
My blog is called Ohio Supporting Prostate Cancer Awareness and I share the overwhelming support that I have received so far. I have sample text of the Whereas for the Proclamation or feel free to use your own. Please feel free to share it with others as well it is my hopes that every City and Village will have a Proclamation/Resolution in place by September 2016.

My second part to my challenge to you is by September 2016 your city will also support us in raising awareness too by illuminated your City Hall or Landmark BLUE in September even for one day is a start or even the whole month would show the families of prostate cancer that We are not alone in the fight to raise awareness. Landmarks that are going BLUE in September, A Pond, City Hall, Clock Tower, Historic Site, and a message on a few LED message boards. I hope you would consider my request and have Ohio be the first State to have all cities supporting Prostate Cancer Awareness.

Currently there are 153 Cities, Villages and Townships supporting my efforts to increase Prostate Cancer Awareness. Can I count on your City, Village or Township?

Sincerely,
Linda Hoetger

Whereas, prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed non-skin cancer in men and the second leading cause of cancer deaths in men; and
Whereas, everyday approximately 240,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in the United Sates alone every year – one man every 2.63 minutes, roughly 30,000 die each year from the disease – one man every 17.52 minutes; and
Whereas, 1 in 7 man are diagnosed with prostate cancer. African American men are at the highest risk for the disease with a rate of 1 in 4 men. African American men are 2.5 times more likely to die from the disease: and
Whereas, Education regarding prostate cancer and early detection strategies is critical to saving lives and preserving and protecting our families; and
Whereas, all men are at risk for prostate cancer and we encourage the citizens of (City) to increase the importance of prostate screenings.


No comments: