Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Funny story

We are coming up on 6 years since Ray was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Prostate Cancer. Many people will not talk about prostate cancer. Many years ago I use to be the quite shy person but not now. Every chance I have to talk about prostate cancer I will take it. For the past 3 years we have went to Washington DC and spoke on Capitol Hill.  You want to know how serious I am about this subject.

September 13, 2015 was my first time ever of being in Washington, DC. We attended a ZERO Summit and on the last day we had meetings with Senators and Congress Members on Capitol Hill. Our first meeting was at 8;30am with Senator Brown so my excitement to meet with him to discuss prostate cancer got the better of me. At 8;15am I took a SPILL on Capitol Hill and broke my leg. The Capitol Hill Police wanted to call for the ambulance to take me to the hospital but I said no. I am going to these meetings they are to important for me to miss. So they get a wheelchair for me and off to the first meeting. We attended all three meetings that day and returned to Ohio and that is when I went to the hospital. I am called back and the Doctors asked how it happened. And I said I took a Spill on Capitol Hill. They laughed and said it is not funny but they way you say it.

Since then we have returned to increase awareness for prostate cancer. In 2013 I was disappointed that Ohio did not have any Resolution for September signed by the Governor.  So I made it my mission to change that. And last year the first one was signed. But again I did not stop there it was time to get the Mayors also involved with Proclamations. So I started writing to them and shared my personal story and was supported with encouraging emails of support. I started this blog and share the Proclamations/ Resolutions and emails of support. There are times that I get emails from others on how to get it started in their states. This is the link please feel free to share it with others. click here Ohio Prostate Cancer Awareness

No comments: