Each September, the nation recognizes prostate cancer awareness month to help defeat the third leading cause of cancer deaths among men. An estimated 27,000 husbands, sons, brothers, fathers, and grandfathers will lose their lives to prostate cancer in 2017.

An Ohio resident has been hard at work to ensure that these proclamations are renewed annually. Linda Hoetger has spoken with local leaders to remind communities of the pain and suffering of prostate cancer. As a result, more than 400 Mayors, Legislators, City Council Members, and Town/Village managers and County Commissioners will issue a proclamation or resolution declaring September prostate cancer awareness month.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Because of you...

When we first started our Journey with prostate cancer, I felt so alone. Then I started sharing what it was like being a Caregiver and what we are going through as a Couple. I am very grateful that my husband is so open when it comes to talking about his prostate cancer.  We both feel it is so important to put a face with the disease. While doing so there are many times when I hear from other families of prostate cancer. Because of you I have started talking more! Because of you I share my story also.

It does not matter where we are if someone wants to talk about prostate cancer we will listen. I take Petey with me all the time. When we are at a restaurant and an opportunity arises for Petey to do a photo. Out he comes! Then people will see him and start talking or run the other way. Sometimes people know why a walnut and other times they get curious and ask.

If Petey gets people talking I am all for it!

No comments: