Friday, July 22, 2016

TESTIMONIAL OF THE WEEK:

"On June 19, 2009, my husband was diagnosed with an aggressive prostate cancer. Ray was 56 years old when he was diagnosed, with no family history that we are aware of. I knew that a support group is what we needed, families who are dealing with the same disease as us. I found one, and after attending the first meeting we were overwhelmed with the support of the members who welcomed us with open arms.

Now armed with more information about treatment options, Ray was able to make a decision that best suited him. We did research on the options available and knew the pros and cons of the treatments. I was there to support his decision no matter what he chose. The option that he chose was robotic surgery and the date was October 12, 2009. That day we had another anniversary to celebrate: the day Ray became a SURVIVOR of prostate cancer. Even though he became a survivor, we are still dealing with the disease. After the surgery, the doctor came out to tell me that the surgery was over, but the cancer had escaped the prostate and into the lymph nodes.

At the post-op appointment, the PSA test came back within a normal range. But we are not out of the woods yet, the first 5 years are critical for reoccurrence. Every three months we have the waiting period of the return of the PSA results. My anxiety and depression increases until the test is back and then relieved to hear that it's less than 0.01 or undetectable!

No family should have to go through this when there could be more research done to find a cure. Earlier testing is very important and could save lives and grief. Since prostate cancer has become part of my life I take every opportunity to help bring awareness. I have started a group on Facebook called Prostate Cancer Survivors, Caregivers, and Friends United. I will do whatever it takes to help win this battle of prostate cancer not only for my husband and sons but for other families as well."

Linda

No comments: